Classic Slots: Old-School Gambling at Its Finest
Slot machines were invented in the United States in 1891, and their first examples had a design still used today. The slot machines of those years had 3 reels, a single payline, and a lever on the side. The symbols were very few in number and consisted of things that were easy to remember, such as playing card suit icons and fruit pictures. You were pulling the lever to spin the reels and trying to place the same three symbols on the payline. Sounds familiar, right? Even today, there are many slot machines that are played exactly like this, and these are known as classic slots. If you really want to try something different, you can try the classic 777 slots. Old-school gambling may be exactly what you’re looking for. In this guide, we will give detailed information about classic machines and list their best examples. Say hello to the classic gambling experience: we go back to the past!
Top Online Casinos with Classic Slots 2020
Why Are They Known as Classic Machines?
Until the video slot machines were invented in the 90s, the classic slots term did not exist. The design and working principles of slot machines have remained unchanged for almost 70 years. IGT introduced digital casino games to our lives by inventing video slots in the 90s. This was such a radical change that old slot machines became known as classic slots. In other words, it was a term used to describe old school slot games.
Today, it can be said that it represents a category in itself. Classic machines are the closest thing to the original designs of these games, and they have very simple rules. They don’t have advanced graphics and bonus features like in modern video slot games. Almost always all you have to do is place the same symbols next to each other. You cannot take advantage of special symbols such as wild and scatter or trigger a free spin round.
Despite this, classic machines can still be very profitable thanks to their low cost, fast gameplay, and high RTP values. In other words, they are not very different from other slot types in terms of total winnings in the long run. Their difference is mainly due to the features they have (and they don’t have).
Main Features of Classic Casino Slots
So, what are these features? What distinctive features do they have and how do they affect the gameplay? We can list the features of these games as follows:
- Low reel count. You know that video slots have at least 5 reels. In some modern games, even a sixth reel can be used. Classic slots, on the other hand, almost always only have 3 reels. In other words, the original design in 1891 is still in use.
- Low payline count. Single-line classic slots are quite common. On average, the number of paylines is 3. It is also possible to see classic machines with 9 lines, but this is the maximum limit. Classic slots do not have more lines than this. In other words, there are fewer options where symbol combinations can occur. However, for the same reason, the cost per spin is also significantly reduced.
- No symbol variety. Classic slots free have few symbols and often have no themes. Even if there is a theme, the symbols hardly change. They are almost always the same, and fruit pictures are the most commonly used symbol type. In fact, these games are even called “fruit machines” for this reason. Icons such as BAR, 7, and bell pictures are also among the symbols used. Just like the reel count, these symbols originate from the original design.
- No special symbols. This is not a very strict rule; especially in classic slots developed in the last 10 years it is possible to see special symbols such as wild and scatter. However, in general, such special symbols are not found in classic 3 reel slots online. Even if such symbols are available, their functions are quite different. For example, the wild symbol usually acts as a multiplier and increase the payouts. The scatter symbol, on the other hand, does not trigger a bonus round but pays wherever it lands on the reels.
- No bonus rounds. Bonus rounds that are frequently encountered in video slots (such as free spins and pick me games) do not exist in classic slots. For some players, this is much better. Note that they still have fixed and progressive jackpot payouts. In fact, some of the best progressive slots are classic games. The missing thing is the bonus games – classic slots do not have them.
- Low graphics quality. If you expect to see impressive graphics and amazing animations, you are playing the wrong game. Classic slots have almost no animations, and it is not possible to say that two-dimensional static visuals look impressive. Once again, some players prefer this.
- Low stakes: Due to the low number of paylines, the spin cost is unbelievably low. They are the most suitable option for low roller players. For the same reason, professional gamblers prefer to play classic machines. This is because it is possible to make lots of spins even with a low bankroll. Imagine you have a $100 budget: you can make 100 spins in a video slot where each spin costs $1. However, in classic slots, this cost can be as low as 0.10 cents per spin. In other words, you can get more spins and extend your gameplay time with the same bankroll.
How to Play Free Classic Slots
- First, choose the game you will play. Classic slots are an extremely rich category, and game providers are still developing them. In other words, you have a lot of options. If you cannot decide, we have provided some recommendations below.
- Try the game of your choice in classic slots free play mode first. So don’t start playing with real money directly. You can play demo slot versions for free to test them. Start playing with real money only after learning all the rules and finding the games you like.
- Classic slots (with some exceptions) are also mobile compatible. Therefore, remember that you can play on mobile too. No matter what kind of device you use; you can start the game on your browser by pressing the “play now” button.
- When the game is loaded, first determine the minimum and maximum bet amounts. If there are no multiplier payouts, we recommend you to play with the minimum bet value. The paytables are usually not dynamic, and the symbols pay the same regardless of the bet value. Of course, do not forget to verify this by checking the paytable.
- Your goal is to place three identical symbols side by side on one of the pay lines. Unlike video slots, classic slots can pay for two or even a single symbol. Once again, you can find out what to do by checking the paytable.
- Start playing by pressing the “spin” button. Continue this until you win a prize. That’s all: you are now ready to play classic machines like a pro.
Is It Possible to Play Free Classic Slots on Mobile?
Classic slots have been developed since the late 90s. In this respect, they are much older than online video slots. In those years, all casino games were developed on the Flash platform and, as is known, this platform has several compatibility problems. For example, Flash-based applications do not work on iOS. These types of classic slots are still available, but they don’t work on iPhones or iPads.
It is possible to say that every game developed in 2010 and after is a real mobile slot. You can play slot demo on mobile devices seamlessly as the developers switched to the HTML5 platform in 2010. To be honest, we recommend using the “try-and-see” tactic. If you are an Android user, you can play all the classic slots without any problems. If you are using iOS, old ones will not work. But in any case, you do not need an application. You can play on mobile browsers without a download.
Top Free Classic Slots Machine Games
We picked the top 5 classic slots for you. You can play for free right now and see what we are talking about. All of these free slots and more are available in our recommended online casinos.
1. Yes, the RTP rate of Mega Joker is really that high. It is as good as blackjack games. This is a unique slot machine with three reels and 5 betlines. The screen is split in half. You start playing at the bottom reels and switch to the top after scoring a certain amount of winning. The reels on the top pay more! There is also a progressive jackpot prize.
|RELEASE DATE||November 2013|
2. Cash Splash has two versions; we are listing the one with 3 reels here. This ersion has only a single payline. Cash Splash is still an amazing game after all these years because of its features. First, it has a progressive jackpot prize. Second, it pays multipliers (up to 4x). Third, it has a special symbol (wild) that can substitute all others. Don’t forget to play with 3 coins to activate the jackpot!
|RELEASE DATE||November 1999|
3. BAR 7’S. This is a classic slot, but it is developed for mobile devices. You can play from desktop devices too, but the interface is much more suitable for mobile players. It has 3 reels and a single payline. You can win up to 40x total bet during the normal game. And after every winning spin, you can play a risk game where you try to guess the color of a close playing card. If you guess right, you can double the payout!
|RELEASE DATE||June 2013|
4. Microgaming is the king of classic slots and offers hundreds of them. That’s no surprise: Microgaming literally invented online slots and launched the first online casino in the world. Double Wammy is not that old, but it is still an old-school game. You play with 3 reels and a single line. There are only three types of symbols: BAR, 7, and cherry pictures. The game logo is wild and pays up to 4x when used in a winning combination.
|RELEASE DATE||August 2014|
5. We picked Win Win slot because it is the perfect hybrid: It has only 3 reels but 17 paylines. It has fruit pictures as symbols but pays up to 500 Euro. By landing golden 777 symbols, you can win 50 times total bet. It also has wild symbols and free re-spins: Win Win offers the bonus features of video slots with the mechanics of classic slots.
|RELEASE DATE||August 2019|
Free Online Classic Slot Games May Be the Thing You Were Looking for
Old school gambling can offer modern players a completely different experience. If you think all slot games are similar, try classic slots. Classic machines will offer a unique and truly different gameplay. Moreover, you can try them immediately. We offer hundreds of them together and completely free on our website. Start playing right now and see why classic slots offer a unique experience. Good luck!